Campbell Biology (10th Edition)
We are honored to present the Tenth Edition of Campbell BIOLOGY. For the last quarter century, Campbell BIOLOGY has been the leading college text in the biological sciences. It has been translated into more than a dozen languages and has provided millions of students with a solid foundation in college-level biology. This success is a testament not only to Neil Campbell’s original vision but also to the dedication of thousands of reviewers, who, together with editors, artists, and contributors, have shaped and inspired this work. Although this Tenth Edition represents a milestone, science and pedagogy are not static—as they evolve, so does Campbell BIOLOGY. Our goals for the Tenth Edition include:
• helping students make connections visually across the diverse topics of biology
• giving students a strong foundation in scientific thinking and quantitative reasoning skills
• inspiring students with the excitement and relevance of modern biology, particularly in the realm of genomics Our starting point, as always, is our commitment to crafting text and visuals that are accurate, are current, and reflect our passion for teaching and learning about biology
New to This Edition
Here we provide an overview of the new features that we have developed for the Tenth Edition; we invite you to explore pages x–xxvi for more information and examples.
• Make Connections Figures draw together topics from different chapters to show how they are all related in the “big picture.” By reinforcing fundamental conceptual connections throughout biology, these figures help overcome students’ tendencies to compartmentalize information.
• Scientific Skills Exercises in every chapter use real data and guide students in learning and practicing data interpretation, graphing, experimental design, and math skills. All 56 Scientific Skills Exercises have assignable, automatically graded versions in MasteringBiology®.
• Interpret the Data Questions throughout the text engage students in scientific inquiry by asking them to interpret data presented in a graph, figure, or table. The Interpret the Data Questions can be assigned and automatically graded in MasteringBiology.
• The impact of genomics across biology is explored throughout the Tenth Edition with examples that reveal how our ability to rapidly sequence DNA and proteins is transforming all areas of biology, from molecular and cell biology to phylogenetics, physiology, and ecology. Chapter 5 provides a launching point for this feature in a new Key Concept, “Genomics and proteomics have transformed biological inquiry and applications.” Illustrative examples are distributed throughout later chapters.
• Synthesize Your Knowledge Questions at the end of each chapter ask students to synthesize the material in the chapter and demonstrate their big-picture understanding. A striking photograph with a thought-provoking question helps students see how material they learned in the chapter connects to their world and provides insight into natural phenomena.
• The Tenth Edition provides a range of new practice and assessment opportunities in MasteringBiology. Besides the Scientific Skills Exercises and Interpret the Data Questions, Solve It Tutorials in MasteringBiology engage students in a multistep investigation of a “mystery” or open question. Acting as scientists, students must analyze real data and work through a simulated investigation. Preface vi Preface In addition, Adaptive Follow-Up Assignments provide coaching and practice that continually adapt to each student’s needs, making efficient use of study time. Students can use the Dynamic Study Modules to study anytime and anywhere with their smartphones, tablets, or computers.
• Learning Catalytics™ allows students to use their smartphones, tablets, or laptops to respond to questions in class.
• As in each new edition of Campbell BIOLOGY, the Tenth Edition incorporates new content and organizational improvements. These are summarized on pp. viii–ix, following this Preface
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|August 27, 2015|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?