Organic Chemistry 8th Edition + Solutions Manual
I love writing, and I love explaining organic chemistry. This book is now in its eighth edition, but I’m still going over every word and every explanation, updating a thousand small details and trying to improve everything. My aim is always to refine the features that made earlier editions so successful, while adding new ones.
• End-of-chapter problems are now grouped by topic so that students can focus on specific subjects.
• Figure references and cross-references are identified by color to better tie the text to nearby illustrations and to previous material.
• Many new problems at the ends of chapters have been added, with a particular emphasis on biologically related topics.
• Coverage of stereochemistry at tetrahedral centers has been moved forward to Chapter 5.
Specific changes within individual chapters include:
• Chapter 2—Polar Covalent Bonds; Acids and Bases. A new end-of-chapter A Deeper Look dealing with dental anesthetics derived from cocaine has been added.
• Chapter 5—Stereochemistry at Tetrahedral Centers. This crucial topic, so important for understanding biological chemistry, has been moved forward from its previous position in Chapter 9 to give it more prominence.
• Chapter 6—An Overview of Organic Reactions. All bond-dissociation data have been updated, and the discussion of energy changes in multistep reactions has been enhanced.
• Chapter 7—Alkenes: Structure and Reactivity. A new end-of-chapter A Deeper Look dealing with bioprospecting and the hunt for biologically active natural products has been added.
• Chapter 8—Alkenes: Reactions and Synthesis. New Sections 8.12 and 8.13 dealing with the stereochemistry of addition reactions to chiral and achiral alkenes have been added.
• Chapter 10—Organohalides. A discussion of synthesizing alkyl fluorides from alcohols has been added to Section 10.5 to reflect the increasing importance of fluorinated compounds in pharmaceutical chemistry. Coverage of the palladium-catalyzed Suzuki Miyaura coupling reaction has been added to Section 10.7.
• Chapter 12—Structure Determination: Mass Spectrometry and Infrared Spectroscopy. A new end-of-chapter A Deeper Look dealing with X-ray crystallography has been added.
• Chapter 13—Structure Determination: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Integration of NMR spectra is presented in a digital format rather than in the outdated stair-step format.
• Chapter 16—Chemistry of Benzene: Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution. Coverage of aromatic fluorination has been added to Section 16.2 to reflect the increasing importance of fluorinated compounds in pharmaceutical chemistry.
• Chapter 17—Alcohols and Phenols. The standard method for oxidizing alcohols has been changed to using the Dess–Martin periodinane to reflect current laboratory practice.
• Chapter 18—Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides. Coverage of the Claisen rearrangement has been expanded, and a biological example of the reaction has been added in Section 18.4. Epoxide opening by amine nucleophiles has been added to Section 18.6.
• Chapter 19—Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions. The Tollens’ oxidation has been deleted, and the mechanism of the Wittig reaction has been updated.
• Chapter 22—Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution Reactions. A new end-of-chapter
A Deeper Look dealing with barbiturates has been added.
• Chapter 25—Biomolecules: Carbohydrates. Section 25.11 on cell-surface carbohydrates has been changed to focus on influenza viruses such as avian flu and swine flu.
• Chapter 28—Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids. The chapter material has been extensively updated.
• Chapter 29—The Organic Chemistry of Metabolic Pathways. A new end-ofchapter A Deeper Look dealing with statin drugs has been added.
• Chapter 31—Synthetic Polymers. A new Section 31.5 on olefin metathesis polymerization has been added.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|December 27, 2016|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?